When you are faced with a dispute with another individual or organisation it is important that you get the right advice from the outset on how to go about handling the matter. Our Litigation team has a wealth of experience in dealing with a wide range of claims acting for both claimants and defendants. Our aim is to resolve matters speedily, efficiently and cost-effectively but always in the client’s best interest.
Examples of the types of claim we handle:
- Contract / Commercial Disputes
- Property Disputes
- Inheritance / Wills Disputes
- Debt Recovery (Pricing below)
- Insurance Claims
- Professional Negligence
- Consumer Rights (ie. Sale of Goods or Services)
- Court agency services to other Solicitors and organisations
Debt Recovery (Range of fixed fees) for a business to business debt that is undisputed
These costs apply where your claim is in relation to an unpaid invoice which is not disputed and enforcement action is not needed. If the other party disputes your claim at any point, we will discuss any further work required and provide you with revised advice about costs if necessary, which could be on a fixed fee (e.g. if a one off letter is required), or an hourly rate if more extensive work is needed.
|Debt Value||Court Fee||Our fee (incl. VAT)|
|Up to £5,000||£205.00||10% of the debt to be recovered plus VAT presently 20%|
|£5,001 - £10,000||£455.00||12% of the debt to be recovered plus VAT presently 20%|
|£10,0001 - £50,000||5% value of the claim||15% if the debt to be recovered plus VAT presently 20%|
|£50,0001 - £100,000||5% value of the claim||15% of the debt to be recovered plus VAT presently 20%|
Anyone wishing to proceed with a claim should note that:
- The VAT element of our fee cannot be reclaimed from your debtor.
- Interest and compensation may take the debt into a higher banding, with a higher cost.
- The costs quoted above are not for matters where enforcement action, such as the bailiff, is needed to collect your debt.
Our fee includes:
- Taking your instructions and reviewing documentation
- Undertaking appropriate searches
- Sending a letter before action
- Receiving payment and sending on to you, or if the debt is not paid, drafting and issuing claim
- Where no Acknowledgement of Service or Defence is received, applying to the court to enter Judgement in default
- When Judgement in default is received, write to the other side to request payment
- If payment is not received with X days, providing you with advice on next steps and likely costs
Matters usually take (x-x) weeks from receipt of instructions from you to receipt of payment from the other side, depending on whether or not it is necessary to issue a claim. This is on the basis that the other side pays promptly on receipt of Judgement in default. If enforcement action is needed, the matter will take longer to resolve.
Senior Assistant Solicitor with litigation experience for many years since 1981 when qualified. He has only dealt with general and commercial litigation throughout his career. His charging rate is £250.00 plus VAT of £50.00 per hour as he is a Senior Solicitor with more than 8 years litigation experience.
How do I get in touch?
Please contact either our Carlisle office on 01228 525 221 or our Wigton office on 016973 43 241 or complete our enquiry form.